Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Well-Educated Mind...A Journey

I mentioned in my previous blog that our homeschool loosely follows Susan Wise-Baur's book The Well-Trained Mind.



She has also written a book for adults who wish to improve their minds and read challenging classic literature.   I purchased The Well-Educated Mind some time ago and fully intended to work my way through all the novels, autobiographies and poetry.  There is a recommended list of books and directions on how to read them... I got stuck on this one:

Unfortunately, this is the first book...So, I am challenging myself to read this book and blog about it.  I will be forced to complete it or be shamed in public.



Here is a short list of some of the first books in The Well-Educated Mind:

Don Quixote
Pilgrim's Progress
Gulliver's Travels
Pride and Prejudice
Oliver Twist
Jane Eyre
The Scarlett Letter

Ms. Wise-Bauer recommends reading the novels first before moving on to other genres. Anyone want to take the challenge with me?

Join the Well-Educated Mind Book Club!


No comments:

Post a Comment